Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Birth Story

At around 1:30 AM on the 28th I awoke to contractions.  This wasn't unusual since she had been giving me contractions at night for several weeks.  I could tell as the hours past and I tried to go back to sleep that she was going to come today.  
I lost my mucus plug at 7 and contacted my midwives (they assumed since I lost my mucus plug a few hours before my water broke with Elias- and he came quickly after that- they wanted to know). By 10 my contractions were irregular around 10 min. apart and getting stronger, but still only about 30-50 seconds long.
One of my midwives, Sara, came to check on me in the afternoon.  I was dialated to a 4.
The rest of the afternoon was uneventful.  My contractions were regular... all... afternoon...
In the evening after putting the babies to bed, everyone relaxed and I put on my Hypnobirthing scripts.  I then felt I needed to do the Fear Release script.  I honestly slept through most of it, but as soon as it was over the baby started doing dances in my belly and I had 4 contractions in 7 minutes.  Things progressed nicely after that as the baby worked her way down.  The baby's waters must have popped because I was leaking a little, but there was never a gush.. until later. It was quiet and peaceful in our house with the lights low.  Clemens was an awesome help.  I had a little back labor for a while and just his hand on my lower back would sooth it away.  Around 11 pm I knew that she was trying to be born before midnight, but she didn't quite make it. I had tried to change positions once as my progression was getting the most intense, but my body didn't like it and I continued standing through my contractions.
I lost focus only once right before she came.  Not in words, or even thought of 'I can't do this' but in my breath.  It was almost stolen away, is how I can best think to describe it.  Luckily I was aware enough with what was going on that I could calm down and keep breathing. I called that my transition, and I think that is why I have such a hard time with 'breathing' the baby down instead of pushing like they do in hypnobirthing.  I am so tired of being in labor that I want the baby out as fast as I can!  I said several prayers between the time of transition and when she was born, which may or may not have been out loud.
Just after midnight she came out.  Her water really broke just before she was born.  That was such a relief, and helped her come faster.
  Oh, I was ever so thankful for my bed.  I had done my most intense labor and even the birth standing up and my legs felt like I had run a marathon (and they continued to feel that way for the next 24  hours).  
The placenta was born and we were able to get all comfortable and get to know our little baby! 
 Ah, home births.
She measured 9 lbs, 21 1/2 inches long and had a 14 inch head.  At her 1 day checkup (and after being up all night nursing), she weighed the same as she did when she was born.  Today she weighed 9 1/2 lbs. She is a professional nurser, and has been since she was born!   


6 comments:

underwhelmed said...

Suzanna, she is wonderful! Congratulations to you all!

Johnson Family said...

Congrats again! Yay for home birth! And I love the name!

Liz said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and I love her name!

Jasmine said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad to see all of the posts...and this new little babe! Love it! Hope to see you guys sometime soon :)

Ace said...

Congratulations, Su! Such a beautiful name for a beautiful baby! :)

Bethany said...

So beautiful! Congratulations!